Church and Parish lifeOur Church SchoolBuilding and History
We are a friendly and welcoming church and active in reaching out to the local community.

We run a Messy Church (jointly with St Gabriel’s, Hanley Swan) as well as a Women’s Fellowship, a Lent Group and run occasional ‘Beer and Ethics’ evenings.

In addition we regularly host exhibitions for Festival of Churches and a Nativity Exhibition at Christmas.

St Mary’s Church works very closely with St Gabriel’s in Hanley Swan, and also St James, Welland, and we regularly have joint services.

Apart from Easter, Christmas and occasional special Sundays like Remembrance Sunday, our service pattern is as follows:

First Sunday of the Month Evensong 6:30pm
Second Sunday of the Month Holy Communion 8am
Third Sunday of the month Matins 11am
Fourth Sunday of the month Holy Communion 8am
Fifth Sunday of the Month Benefice Service – see calendar.

  • Services in Welland and the Hanleys

    Sun 24

    Holy Communion

    June 24 @ 8:00 am - 9:00 am
    Sun 24

    Morning Service

    June 24 @ 9:30 am - 10:30 am
    Jul 01

    Holy Communion

    July 1 @ 9:30 am - 10:30 am
    Jul 01

    Breakfast Church

    July 1 @ 9:30 am - 11:00 am
    Jul 01

    Evensong

    July 1 @ 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
    Jul 05

    Holy Communion

    July 5 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am
    Jul 08

    Holy Communion

    July 8 @ 8:00 am - 8:40 am

We are actively involved in the life of our local primary school, Hanley Swan St Gabriels’s with St Mary’s Church of England Primary School. Church members regularly contribute to school assemblies through a scheme called “Open the Book” and we run a “Jesus and Me” (JAM) after-school club.

The Parish Church of St. Mary, Hanley Castle lies at the centre of the medieval village and has been a place of worship for over 1000 years.

The Bishop of Worcester consecrated the High Altar at Hanley in 1290 at the start of the enlargement of the former Saxon and early Norman church, remnants of which include the South door.

The unique feature of St. Mary’s is the brick tower, chancel and chapel, built in 1674 after damage during the Civil War and containing some of the earliest brickwork in the country.

Later Victorian ‘upgrades’ include two fine stained glass windows by Clayton & Bell.

 

Location Information

St Mary, Hanley Castle

Hanley Castle, Worcestershire, WR8 0BL
Get Directions
Weddings, Baptisms, Funerals