We run a Messy Church (jointly with St Gabriel’s, Hanley Swan) as well as a Women’s Fellowship, a Lent Group and run occasional ‘Beer and Ethics’ evenings.
In addition we regularly host exhibitions for Festival of Churches and a Nativity Exhibition at Christmas.
St Mary’s Church works very closely with St Gabriel’s in Hanley Swan, and also St James, Welland, and we regularly have joint services.
Apart from Easter, Christmas and occasional special Sundays like Remembrance Sunday, our service pattern is as follows:
|First Sunday of the Month||Evensong||6:30pm|
|Second Sunday of the Month||Holy Communion||8am|
|Third Sunday of the month||Matins||11am|
|Fourth Sunday of the month||Holy Communion||8am|
|Fifth Sunday of the Month||Benefice Service – see calendar.|
Events Coming Up
- February 19 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am at Tim and Maria Toman’s
- February 21 @ 10:30 am - 12:00 pm at Hanley Castle, St Mary
- February 25 @ 8:00 am - 9:00 am at Hanley Castle, St Mary
- February 25 @ 9:30 am - 10:30 am at Hanley Swan, St Gabriel’s
- February 26 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am at Tim and Maria Toman’s
- March 1 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 amat Hanley Swan, St Gabriel’s|Recurring Event (See all)First Thursday
- March 2 @ 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm
- March 4 @ 9:30 am - 10:30 amat Hanley Swan, St Gabriel’s|Recurring Event (See all)First Sunday
The Bishop of Worcester consecrated the High Altar at Hanley in 1290 at the start of the enlargement of the former Saxon and early Norman church, remnants of which include the South door.
The unique feature of St. Mary’s is the brick tower, chancel and chapel, built in 1674 after damage during the Civil War and containing some of the earliest brickwork in the country.
Later Victorian ‘upgrades’ include two fine stained glass windows by Clayton & Bell.