We run a Messy Church (jointly with St Gabriel’s, Hanley Swan) as well as a Women’s Fellowship, a Lent Group and run occasional ‘Beer and Ethics’ evenings.
In addition we regularly host exhibitions for Festival of Churches and a Nativity Exhibition at Christmas.
St Mary’s Church works very closely with St Gabriel’s in Hanley Swan, and also St James, Welland, and we regularly have joint services.
Apart from Easter, Christmas and occasional special Sundays like Remembrance Sunday, our service pattern is as follows:
|First Sunday of the Month||Evensong||6:30pm|
|Second Sunday of the Month||Holy Communion||8am|
|Third Sunday of the month||Matins||11am|
|Fourth Sunday of the month||Holy Communion||8am|
|Fifth Sunday of the Month||Benefice Service – see calendar.|
Events Coming Up
- April 27 @ 5:30 pm - 7:00 pmat Hill Centre|Recurring Event (See all)
One event on May 11, 2018 at 5:30pm
One event on May 25, 2018 at 5:30pm
One event on June 15, 2018 at 5:30pm
One event on June 29, 2018 at 4:00pm
- April 29 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm at Strensham, St John the Baptist
- April 30 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am|Recurring Event (See all)Every Monday
- May 3 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 amat Hanley Swan, St Gabriel’s|Recurring Event (See all)First Thursday
- May 4 @ 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm at Vicarage
- May 6 @ 10:30 am - 11:30 amat Clive’s Fruit Farm|Recurring Event (See all)
One event on May 6, 2018 at 10:30am
- May 6 @ 10:45 am - 11:45 amat Upton, St Peter and St Paul|Recurring Event (See all)
One event on May 6, 2018 at 10:45am
- May 6 @ 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm at Hanley Castle, St Mary
The Bishop of Worcester consecrated the High Altar at Hanley in 1290 at the start of the enlargement of the former Saxon and early Norman church, remnants of which include the South door.
The unique feature of St. Mary’s is the brick tower, chancel and chapel, built in 1674 after damage during the Civil War and containing some of the earliest brickwork in the country.
Later Victorian ‘upgrades’ include two fine stained glass windows by Clayton & Bell.