“…go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age..” [Matthew 28:19-20]
We’re delighted you want to know about the possibility of baptism at one of our churches.
Christian baptism takes one of two forms. Its either a choice an adult makes for themselves, or a choice an adult makes on behalf of a child, until such time as the child is in a position to make a choice for themselves.
Either way, the heart of baptism is not the ceremony, but the decision taken to become a follower of Jesus Christ. The ceremony of baptism is a visible and public sign of this decision and a choice to identify with a particular church community. Part of the ceremony involves the church community welcoming the baptism candidate – so baptisms will usually form part of a main Sunday services.
If you are already worshipping regularly with us and want to be baptised or would like your child to be baptised, please speak to your clergy directly – the end of a service is a good time. If you aren’t regularly worshipping with us, the first step is to conntact our baptism coordinator, who will usually ask you to fill in and return a baptism application form. Please follow the instructions below to download and return an application form.
- Infant Baptism Application Form . (Note, please don’t open the form in your browser. Instead, save to your computer by right-clicking the link and choosing “Save Link As”. Then fill in the document on your computer, save it, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. If you do not already have Adobe Reader , you may need to install it – it’s free, just click here!)
- Adult Baptism Application Form (Note, please don’t open the form in your browser. Instead, save to your computer by right-clicking the link and choosing “Save Link As”. Then in the document on your computer, save it, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. If you do not already have Adobe Reader , you may need to install it – it’s free, just click here!)
Resources for children
Sometimes friends or family may want to buy a Bible for a child being baptised. We’ve found some of these Bibles are particularly good for children.
For a child that enjoys reading, try these modern translations:
- Good News Bible (Bible Gnb) .
- God’s Words of Life for Kids: New International Reader’s Version (God’s Words of Life) .
For younger children, try these bibles:
- Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name (An excellent children’s bible – from about age 4).
- Lion First Bible . Suitable for under 3s.
- The Lion Storyteller Bible (Read-aloud) . Great for u4s if you like to read out loud to them.